E L B O W
Elbow: Blessings Without Limit

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Blessings Without Limit

I wonder if there are black people in the church that feel offended when they hear people compare the gay oppression in the community of the saints being related to the struggle that was afforded their ancestors as they were discriminated against and even placed in danger for the societal set back that was allotted then during the history of the church and more importantly the history of our country.

There are so many ways to parallel the gay struggle/movement in the church but it seems as though the comparison of the black members of the church being able to receive the priesthood is easily understood because the oppression originated in society and the permeated the doctrine of the church to view black members as not being “ready” to receive that blessings of holding the priesthood and having the power in their homes.

I don’t know what will happen in future of the church when in our country gay marriage will be legalized and communities are more gay friendly and families can no longer expect their son’s and daughters to marry against their organic attractions.

One thing that does separate the gay struggle within the church and the black men receiving the priesthood is that black men in the church were hopeful and prayerful that they would one day receive the blessings that so many other men in the church had been receiving. And yet there are gay men and women who are active members of the church willing to be exploited and repressed and even fighting for the further disembodiment of the forces that are trying to promote equality in the distribution of blessings.

When a straight man marries a straight woman, part of the blessings that are afforded them are automatically rewarded. Natural affection, true sexual fulfillment, and organic connection of the physical and emotional bond that they share. To choose to live your life with someone and not have those essential components be part of the relationship, then what’s the point of getting married?

I use to think that the blessings would come and that if I were patient enough and if I were faithful enough that I could obtain the unseen magical blessings that would one day be mine. And now I realize that I can have whatever blessing I want because there are an abundant amount of blessings available for the taking. I am not limited. I can be connected to a man and have the same emotional, spiritual and physical connections that a straight man and women rejoice in. And if I choose to focus on the blessings of the struggle and the possible blessings of sacrifice then I can have those too. But I choose to be happy now and to be happy later and to be happy after death.

The Lord doesn’t discriminate. The Lord doesn’t turn people away because they choose to love and support and give and hope and care and sacrifice and embody true affection for someone of their same gender.

It would be ridiculous to assume that a black person would look down on another black person for wanting what is a natural and God given right to experience love and connection on a natural and valid level. So why do gay men in the church look down on other gay men for choosing to take God up on the blessings that He has promised everyone?

I use to feel like I was bound by my sexuality in that I couldn’t participate in the blessings that others had. I felt like the sexual and emotional blessings that were experienced by straight men and women could not be mine because that was my lot in life. And then I realized that I could take off the handcuffs that I bound myself in for so long. I didn’t have to stay bound with my hands behind my back. I was free all along to grasp and fight and look to love and seek out intimate human connection that wasn’t forced or lacking in richness or blessings.

I feel whole because I’ve remembered that God has already made me whole. I am benefiting from the blessings of being true to myself because I am choosing to use the resources that Heavenly Father has given me to obtain those blessings.

Regardless of the outcome as to whether "the gays" will receive the priesthood or not, or if lesbians will be able to teach primary... that’s not my concern. But my focus for me and this time of my life, is to remember that happiness only begets more happiness, and struggle and repression and stifling and denial will only bring more of the same.

If it’s true that sexuality is a choice, then I chose to be happy.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, the church will never change its official position. There might come a day when we don't have to fear excommunication for living in gay relationships and at some point we may even be able to hold a few callings but we will never be given temple recommends under those circumstances. But..that is kind of ok. The truth is we just need to keep our personal relationships with God in tact and we will be able to do the things we need to be happy in this life and the next.

11:28 PM  
Blogger playasinmar said...

Anonymous is probably right. I almost can't remember several examples of the church changing it's official position.

6:46 AM  
Blogger elbow said...

My point in writing this post was not to debate whether or not the church will change it's position, but to focus on that fact that it doesn't matter either way. I personally don't care either way. Regardless of the church and its stance on "the gays", my job/purpose/mission on the earth is to live my life at the highest vibrational frequency possible and do what makes me happy and complete and whole.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

"...is to remember that happiness only begets more happiness, and struggle and repression and stifling and denial will only bring more of the same."

AMEN, I just finished reading "the Grapes of Wrath" I think thats a good summery of it and of life in general... thanks

5:30 PM  
Blogger John Gustav-Wrathall said...

Nice post, Elbow. No one who claims Christ's atonement is allowed to look down on anyone else. That's not how the Divine Imperium works.

9:35 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Nice post, Elbow. Choosing happiness is a blessed thing.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Forester said...

No one should ever feel or actually be forced into living a certain way. Our right to choose, based on the doctrine of free agency is the greatest gift we have been given. Everyone deserves peace and happiness. Happiness is the true purpose of being. I'm not sure where I'm going with this, but I'm glad that we get to choose how and what we want to do with our lives. And JGW is right, it's not up to us to judge one another, instead we should love and support each other through a life that is full of hate and ugliness.

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home