E L B O W
Elbow: See Sicko Now!

Sunday, August 05, 2007

See Sicko Now!

I saw Sicko last night and I cried in a way that I haven't ever cried before. I was touched and overwhelmed by such beautiful examples of human beings and amazing systems of health around the world where people are not only the most prized resource, but are given the chance to have more years on their life!

Health Insurance Companies are disgustingly greedy and even without seeing this movie I've felt a deep desire to make health care free to EVERYONE, regardless of how fat their check books are. My heart aches for people of the nation that I love so much who don't have health care, who can't afford medications that will save their lives, or who choose to use their life savings and in turn become bankrupt because they can't afford to keep their house and get treatment.

Go see Sicko! Please, if you care about our nation and you care about our government and the way the greedy politicians are controlling our ability to feel safe and healthy, please see this movie.

I'm not a huge fan of Michael Moore, but after seeing this movie I can't deny that what he is saying in this film is one of the most important messages to our nation today.

This website is amazing onecarenow.org and it's time to take this issue seriously!

6 Comments:

Blogger playasinmar said...

There's no such thing as free.

4:34 PM  
Blogger John Gustav-Wrathall said...

I've seen this movie too. It went right to the top of my favorite movies list.

4:49 PM  
Blogger gentlefriend said...

I agree that there is no such thing as free. When will greedy Americans realize that taxes are needed for health care for the needy, fixing our bridges, securing our ports, etc. If we stopped giving welfare in the form of tax breaks to corporations and the wealthy and stopped our pre-emptive war we could afford to provide health care to all!

8:44 PM  
Blogger John Gustav-Wrathall said...

Amen, Gentlefriend. I can bear witness to that, having meandered down to the Mississippi in downtown Minneapolis with my partner to view the results of refusing to invest in our country's infrastructure since the Reagan era.

The current sucky healthcare system we have is not "free" either. It takes a terrible human toll. That's one of the things Michael Moore's documentary portrays so powerfully...

9:34 PM  
Blogger Chris W. said...

To my pro-social-medicine friends: How do you propose to allocate medical-care resources?

There are a limited amount of health-care resources. Even in countries that have government-provided health care, there is some rationing of medical care.

I agree, the U.S. system is in need of some serious reform. The problem I have with socialized-medicine supporters is the failure to address the consequences associated with such a program (i.e., resource allocation, quality of care, expense, etc.). The V.A. is a mess...do we really want to model our health-care system after that poor organization?

10:32 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

A friend of mine has suggested we model public health after public education. All should have access, funded by taxpayers; those who want to pay for private care, can.

Makes sense to me.

7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home